B.ED DEGREE COURSE CURRICULUM
A.) Structure of the Programme
Total marks of the program: 1500
Duration of the program: two years comprising 4 semesters
|Semesters||Period||No. of working days||Remarks|
|I||June to October||100|
|II||November to March||100||April/May Summer vacation|
|III||June to October||100||80 days/15 weeks in school (internship) +2 weeks for demonstration/criticism classes|
|IV||November to March||100|
The two year B.Ed programme of NCTE curriculum Frame work comprises three broad curricular raeas sretching across four semesters (i) Perspectives in Education, (ii) Curriculum and Pedagogic Studies, and (iii) Engagement with the Field.
There are six courses under Perspectives in education and four courses under curriculum and pedagogic studies including electives and four courses for engagement with the field. A couple of courses are stretched into Parts I and II in order to apaces out the learning load and make for easier internalization. Part (iii) courses are essentially meant for sensitizing student teachers to specific dimensions of their development as teachers.
|Sl.No||Courses No||Name of Course|
|1||BED C 101||Psychology of Childhood and Growing Up|
|2||BED C 102||Contemporary India and Education|
|3||BED C 103||Language Across the Curriculum|
|4||BED C 201||Psychology of Learning and Teaching|
|5||BED C 202||Knowledge and Curriculum – Part I|
|6||BED C 401||Gender, School and Society|
|7||BED C 402||Knowledge and Curriculum – Part II|
|8||BED C 403||Creating an Inclusive School|
BED P 101. Understanding Discipline and subject (English, Malayalam, Maths, Nat.Science, Phy.science Soci.Science)
BED P 201.Pedagogy of School subject part I (optional subject concerned)
BED P 202: Assessment for Learning (Optional subjects concerned)
BED P 301. Pedagogy of school subject Part II (Optional subjects concerned )
BED E 401.1. Guidance and Counseling
BED E 401.2. Health and Physical Education
BED E 401.3. Peace Education
BED E 401.4. Environmental Education
BED E 401.5. Additional Pedagogy (Optional Subjects Concerned)
- A student teacher has to choose any one course from this category elective in the IVth semester.
- Courses on Enhancing Professional Capacities (EPC)
EPC 01 : Reading and Reflecting on Texts
EPC 02 : Drama and Art in Education
EPC 03 : Critical Understanding of ICT
EPC 04 : Understanding the Self
Course Structure of the Programme
|Courses||Sem I||Sem II||Sem III||Sem IV|
|Core courses||BED C 101
BED C 102,
BED C 103
|BED C 201
BED C 202
|BED C 401
BED C 402
BED C 403
|Pedagogic Couses||BED P 101*||BED P 201*
BED P 202*
BED P 301*
BED E 401*
|EPC Courses (Internal Evaluation)||EPC 01||EPC 02||EPC 03
Scheme of Examination (Semester wise details)
The student teachers shall be required to study 4 courses each during the first, second and fourth semesters, and one course during the third semester apart from physical education practical and EPC courses. Each theory course has the component of internal and external assessment.
The external assessment shall be based on the students achievement in the Term End examination in the theoretical components and internal assessment shall be based on the student teachers performance in the practicum components. The projects/assignments/tasks in the practicum component shall be assessed internally. The weightage in terms of marks for different courses (theory internal) is given below.
|BED C 101||Psychology of Childhood and Growing UP||80||20||100|
|BED C 102||Contemporary India and Education||80||20||100|
|BED C 103||Language Across the Curriculum||50||10||60|
|BED P 101||Understanding Discipline and Subject||50||10||60|
|EPC 01||Reading and Reflecting on Text||–||50||50|
|Total for theory||260||110||370|
|*physical Education Practical||–||30||30|
|BED C 201||Psychology of Learning and Teaching||80||20||100|
|BED C 202||Knowledge and Curriculum Part I||50||10||60|
|BED P 201||Pedagogy of School subject Part I: (optional Subjects concerned)||50||10||60|
|BED P 202||Assessment for Learning- (Optional subjects concerned)||80||20||100|
|EPC 02||Drama and Art in Education||–||50||50|
|*Physical Education Practical||30||30|
|*physical Education Practical||–||30||30|
|BED P 301||Pedagogy of School subject Part I: (optional Subjects concerned)||50||10||60|
|Scholl Internship (15 weeks)||—||200||200|
|Practicum during internship||90*||90|
Break up of 90* marks
Record of Practice Teaching: 10 marks
Record of Demonstration/ Criticism: 10 marks
Handling of Health & Phy.Edn class: 20 marks
Observation records of a regular
Classroom of a teacher: 10 marks
Case study/ action research : 10 marks
Blueprint and question papers: 10 marks
Working with school program: 10 marks
(Arts festival/ red cross/sports & games etc)
Total: 90 marks
Total for the third semester: 350 marks
|BED C 401||Gender, school and society||50||10||60|
|BED C 402||Knowledge & curriculum Part II||50||10||60|
|BED C 403||Creating an inclusive School||50||10||60|
|BED E 401,1||Guidance and counseling||50||10||60|
|BED E 401,2||Health and Physical Education||50||10||60|
|BED E 401.3||Peace Education||50||10||60|
|BED E 401.4||Environmental Education||50||10||60|
|BED E 401.5||Additional Pedagogy (optional Subjects concerned)||50||10||60|
|EPC 03||Critical Understanding of ICT||—-||50||50|
|EPC 04||Understanding the self||—-||50||50|
|*Physical Education Practical||—||10||10|
Additional Services Provided to Students.
- Coaching class for SET/NET examinations are conducted by IQAC and many students benefit from this.
- The college library has ample reference materials for competitive exams like NET, SET and PSC Examinations.
- Training in Communication skills, numerical ability, critical thinking, creative thinking etc, are provided to students under the auspicious of various clubs/departments to strengthen their employability.
- Placement service of our college is actively involved in searching out vacancies in different schools.
- The schools and colleges in and outside Kerala place their demand for competent teachers in various subjects over telephone, e-mail or by post (mostly through our Alumni members who are working there) in the placement cell. The student teachers are informed about the vacancies and encouraged to pursue these posts.
- Career guidance cell is functioning in the institution and it provides career guidance to the students.
- There is a career corner in the library where news, notifications regarding opportunities and competitive examinations are available.
- The Cell also provides placement services by listing of promising teachers of each batch for appointment in various schools.
- Under the auspicious of Mathematics club a numerical ability training was given to all 100 students in the college in order to master different skills in numerical ability.
- The facilities of the college especially the library resources are accessible to students even after graduation from the college. Many students who continue for M.Ed and Ph.D. programs make use of the library and laboratory facilities of the college, and also take guidance and expert suggestions from the faculty members of the college.